Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Front and Center...

of the Ravalli Republic Newspaper in Hamilton Montana. This is how my moms day was yesterday. =)(and if you don't know my mom is DeLis Olsen, prounounced DuhLee)



Heather Kimble was busy pricing some Halloween merchandise on the afternoon that Loonies and Toonies Dollar Store became a drive through.

“I was just standing there with my back to the door when there was this huge noise,” Kimble said, while staring at the white-four door sedan parked about halfway inside the Hamilton store Tuesday. “She was all the way inside the store by the time I looked over to see what happened.”

“She” was Mickey Breckbill, who’d never ever found herself in a situation like this before.

A faithful customer of the Loonies and Toonies Dollar Store, Breckbill had just pulled up right in front of the store a little before 3 p.m. when something went terribly wrong.
“I have no idea what happened,” Breckbill said, shaking her head as she stared at the Hamilton police officer taking notes as he walked around her car amidst piles of shattered glass. “This is my first wreck in 83 years … I just feel so bad about this.”

Store owner DeLis Olsen reached over and comforted her customer while both stood back in the parking lot watching the police do their work.

“The Lord has his hands in all things,” Olsen murmured to her customer. “At least no one was hurt.”

Olsen said she was in the back of her shop when the accident occurred.

“It sounded like a train was coming through the store,” Olsen said. “It scared us all to death. I’ve never heard a noise like that before. By the time I got out there, she was trying to move the car back. We told her to just leave it.”

Bonnie Wischmeier was scheduled to work the next shift at the store. She’s seen Breckbill plenty of times before.

“She comes in weekly, sometimes almost every other day,” said Wischmeier. “She’s really a nice customer. Poor little thing … I guess my shift is cancelled for today.”

Breckbill said the police asked her if she knew anybody that might help.

“I told them I knew the chief of police,” she said. “I’ve known him since he was a tiny little thing. He was absolutely adorable.”

The store, which moniker comes from the nickname of $1 and $2 bills in Canada, will re-open on Thursday.

8 comments:

Angela said...

WOW! That's so scary! I'm glad everyone's OK. Your poor parents!

KT said...

Poor Aunt DeLis. I bet that scared the crap outta her.

Kelli said...

I hope they had insurance? At least they got some press right? I'm glad everyone is okay =)

Carissa Poyfair said...

Wow, that poor lady! And how nice of your mom to comfort her! I'm glad no one was hurt. And that's gross, about the breast milk in ice cream. Ew! There has to be something ethically wrong with that too!

Audra said...

Oh geez! I'm glad that no one was hurt, but your poor parents!!!

Meg and Abe said...

That is crazy! I am glad nobody got hurt though. What sucks is I feel bad for your mom of course but you've got to feel bad for that little old lady.
Also that breast milk thing sounds a little wacko to me. If they start doing that I think I am going to have to boycott their ice cream. Just a little too weird for me. Good luck at the dentist. Oh and I never told you but I love your house! Glad you are doing well. I will come in to visit the week after Christmas. Maybe we can all go to lunch or something.

Kory said...

Glad that no one was hurt! That's scary!

Cort said...

Man, your parents have all the luck huh?